Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Kids' reading competition

The week of Christmas, Yanik, one of our local translators, made a full schedule of all kinds of activities.  I asked if a reading competition could go in the plans, and we had a great turn out.  I assumed that a handful of kids would be brave enough to compete after our few weeks of practicing in their weekly literacy class, but parents somehow got all the kids to be a part of it.  I had 42 kids from K-12th read various things according to their age.  Three judges joined me and did an awesome job.  All the kids got alphabet book/songs and a fun pen just for participating, and winners got to choose from other prizes.  The adult competition is scheduled for March 22!
Kids prepping for the competition.

I asked Jenita to lead the kids in singing the alphabet song with our alphabet book while I tallied the judges scores for the competition.

Judges organizing our tallies.  I asked George, on of our local translators, along with my literacy helper, Nini, and a new helper Jowed to judge the kids' competition.  Yanik, in the foreground, MC-ed the event for us.

The boy, Edmon, to the right of Jesiah, won the competition with his fantastic reading. 
Maria just graduated this year from a high school in Vila.  She came home for Christmas and participated in the reading competition.

Kids chatting and waiting for final scores to be read out.

No comments: