Thursday, August 13, 2020

Vanuatu Children's Day

 One of the holidays in Vanuatu is called Children's Day.  I was invited along with Rrut and some of Harre's family to go to a celebration at a new school set up by my friends the Karie's (who were in my Bislama girls Bible study back 10 years ago, and who run Belair Airways that we fly on to and from Ambrym).  Elder Ann Karie has invited me the last year or 2 to come out to her church and school out of town (Vila) in an area called Teouma, but I finally made it!  We had a fun day together.

Me, Mak, Rrut, Matelin
Local "cake" laplap.
"white man" cake.
Elder Ann is the woman in the island dress in the middle of all the kids.
Two former Prime Ministers came to give speeches and history of Vanuatu.
Matelin and I as well as some of her nieces.
Mak opening his present from me.

A big truck!

Marching band.  Didn't even notice until a US friend pointed out that it is a Christmas song!  They played many different songs and entertained us with their choreography.

No comments: